Sunday, May 23, 2010

Conformity at the Pharmacy



At the pharmacy I work at there is this touchscreen monitor where patients sign for their picked up prescriptions(see photo). After they sign their name indicating they picked up their medications, another screen pops up asking them if they would like patient counseling, which is where the pharmacist counsels the patient about their prescription. I work at the front so I am ringing them up for their medications. With many patients(especially the elderly and others who cannot understand English so well), they look at the screen in the picture with confusion and do not know what to click. They look at me for assistance. If it is a new medication for them, I would tell them to click "Accept". And if it is a refill for them, I tell them to select "Decline". And they will always listen to me and select what I tell them to put.

This reminds me of conformity. It is an example of how informational social influence leads to conformity. The situation to these people is ambiguous. I am the "expert," being behind the counter working in the pharmacy. The situation demands accuracy and is important to each person because it has to do with their medications.

Dani Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment